Our Green Policy
Poplar Springs Inn Spa sits amidst 170 rolling acres within a small rural community. We take seriously our role as custodian of a precious asset: our land. Through example, we also encourage more respectful practices in the tourism sector. We are certified by Virginia Green.
In 2012, we launched our latest initiative, Tap Into Our Spring, to reduce the presence of disposable water bottles in landfills. Poplar Springs guests receive a reusable water bottle in their rooms upon check-in, which they are encouraged to carry throughout their stay (and take home afterward). The bottles can be filled at water stations throughout the property.
Among our other green practices:
- We have geothermal heating and cooling as well as thermal-rated windows and insulation.
- New capital investment projects, ongoing maintenance and renewal programs are mindful of environmental impact. We follow LEED criteria on new buildings.
- Whenever we replace equipment, from our lighting to our refrigeration systems, we choose alternatives that are energy efficient. Our office laptops, computers, printers and scanners carry high Energy Star ratings.
- We work to conserve water. We have water-saving faucets, showerheads and toilets, leak detection, an effective landscape watering plan and a resort-wide conservation policy. By giving guests the option to re-use towels and linens, we further reduce the consumption of water and laundry detergent.
- As part of our goal to be 100 percent organic, we are replacing chemical-based products and fertilizers with organic alternatives. Cleaning products used on the property are non-toxic and environmentally safe.
- We have gardening and composting programs.
- As much as possible, we use seasonal and organic food from local suppliers and producers. It is healthier, supports local farmers and offsets carbon emissions.
- We are increasing the biodiversity of both the flora and fauna of the estate.
- We use low-VOC textiles.
- During renovations, usable hotel items do not go to landfills. Instead, linens, towels, furniture, drapes, appliances and bedspreads are donated to local nonprofit organizations.
- We employ e-communication as much as possible to reduce paper consumption. Our marketing materials, correspondence and envelopes are printed on recycled paper.
- We train our employees in environmentally sustainable practices.
We act in a socially responsible manner and, within our community, we lead through example. In addition to adopting environmental best practices, we support local charities, provide work and internship opportunities to high school and college students and get involved in community projects and initiatives.